Have you ever wondered just how this whole festival comes together? How is a joust organized? Can they get hurt? How do they get their horses to the festival? Where do they sleep?
The Friday afternoon joust is a fantastic opportunity for you to catch a unique and educational glimpse of what happens ‘behind the scenes’ at the festival. The Abbey Medieval Festival jousting arena is the place to be on Friday 7th July. However, take note…access to any other part of the festival grounds will not be permitted, as the site is still being set-up for our weekend festival.
Food and drinks will be available for purchase throughout the afternoon.
The afternoon will proceed roughly as follows:-
- 1.30pm – gates open, with volunteers ready to escort you in groups to the joust arena at the Eastern Grandstand entry
- 2.30pm – the fun commences with all twelve jousters participating in this premier event of the festival – taking approximately one hour . We plan to show-off eight Australian jousters and four internationals (still to be confirmed but we can confirm one wonderful French Knight, for your entertainment!).
- 3.30pm to 4.30pm – in the spirit of all things ‘experiential, this will be opportunity for you to participate, so get up close and personal with the jousters, maybe you will be lucky enough to find a broken lance tip as a souvenir, hold the long lances in your hand, feel the shiny, cold armour, ask that question you have always wanted to ask, take some photos…..and get ready for some surprise entertainment. More details to come…
- This will be a great opportunity for our older citizens to experience the festival, who may otherwise find an entire festival day too much
- The afternoon will finish-up approximately 5.00pm , as the rest of our festival is still emerging from the ground. Our staff, volunteers, re-enactors, stall-holders, encampments and more will be very busy puttig the final touches to the 2017 Abbey Medieval Festival
- Limited seating is available and tickets must be pre-purchased online; no tickets will be available for purchase on that day or at the even
Ticket price – $15pp – buy here