Planning your festival weekend
We are receiving lots of great questions about specific festival details which we are very happy that you are asking as it means you are planning ahead for a fantastic weekend. Naturally, we in turn are also very happy to answer your queries to the best of our ability and experience. Be sure to read our FAQ’s which may have the information you need already. Remember hats and sunscreen are a must, so don’t forget to Slip, Slop, Slap! In addition, here’ are a few more tips to keep in mind in your planning process
- Bring Cash – Anyone who has been to our festival before will know that every year we struggle with connectivity. We are making some exciting progress for a great solution this year, however please still prepare to bring CASH. We will keep you posted!
- Did you know that you may need a weapon’s permit for some of your children’s toy weapons or for weapons purchased at the festival. See this list below. Please remember that these guidelines comply with Australian Standards of Health and Safety, so we don’t just make them up! And if you decide you need a permit, apply here! Permits will also be available from ‘The Sheriff of Abbeystowe’ during the weekend, located near to the main gates.
|Latex foam rubber sword||YES||YES|
|Latex foam rubber sword (metal bar inside)||YES||YES|
|Foam LARP sword||YES||YES|
|Blunt re-enactment sword in a loop attached to belt||YES||YES|
|Cardboard or plastic look alike axe/ sword||YES||NO|
|Unsharpened axe in holder||YES||YES|
|Toy crossbow (wooden with rubber tips)||On approval by the Sheriff||YES|
|Toy bow (wooden with rubber tips)||On approval by Sheriff||YES|
|Blunt metal knife||YES||YES|
|Purchasing a weapon on the day and adding to their outfit||YES||YES|
|Bow and arrows together||NO||N/A|
- Water – Keeping our festival green – In the interest of our beautiful environment, we strongly encourage you to bring your own re-fillable water bottles. Water will be available freely at water stations throughout the festival. However, we understand that bottles are lost and forgotten and the weather can be hot. Therefore, water will be on sale from a number of water peddlers, including St. Michael’s school stall.
- Did you know that your joust ticket comes with a pre-show? So get to the jousting arena at least 45 minutes early!
- There aren’t that many opportunities to see real and wonderful stained glass in our lives – so check your program and don’t miss the Abbey Church stained glass tours.
- If you are travelling south-bound on the Bruce Highway, your exit is #157 “Donnyborook, Toorbul’.
- If you are travelling north-bound on the Bruce Highway, your exit is #152, the Bribie Island exit.
- If you have a GPS find ‘THE ABBEY PLACE’ (and not Abbey Place)!
- Did you know, there are free shuttle buses from Caboolture Train Station? Starting from 7.15 and running every half hour. Last bus leaves tournament at 5.15pm. – Get ahead of traffic!