Calling all talented visitors to the Festival! For the very first time, we’re running a costume competition! Open to all paying visitors to the Festival (sorry re-enactors and volunteers), this is a chance to show off your skills with a needle and thread.
We’ve been so impressed by the effort that is put into the clothing worn by our visitors that we’re giving you a chance to show them off! We are looking for dressmakers and enthusiasts to showcase their talents in recreating garments from the 600 – 1600 era, so if your costume is well researched and you believe it would qualify as an authentic garment we could see in medieval manuscripts, we think you should apply now!
The competition will be taking place on both the Saturday and Sunday, between 12.30pm and 1.15pm, on the stage next to the Friar’s Folly Tavern.
- Applications will only be accepted by filling out the Entry form on the website.
- Must be over 16 years of age (entrants between 16-18 must have written parental consent to be eligible) Consent form can be found here.
- Costume must have historical reference to the era represented by the Abbey Medieval Festival – we cannot accept fantasy inspired costumes
- Costume cannot be store bought – our competition is all about showcase the dressmaking abilities of our visiting public
- Entrants can only participate on one day
- Members of the Abbey Medieval Festival committee, volunteers for the festival, re-enactors and other entertainment providers at the Festival are not eligible to enter
For more information check out the Costume Competition FAQ
How the winners will be chosen:
- Historical accuracy/reference
- Attention to detail
- Crowd favourite will be judged according to the loudest cheers from the audience
All applications will be reviewed to determine eligibility; each eligible entrant will be contacted via email directly by the Festival to discuss participation. The judging panel will determine first and second place on each day and the audience will pick a ‘People’s Choice’. Please read the Terms and Conditions and our Frequently Asked Questions for further information or contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions you may have.
The countdown is on for the Festival, time to get out the fabric and thread and create something amazing!